02 May, 2012

Bruce Trail - Day 1, Wiarton to Cape Croker

We started our hike from Wiarton at KM 0.0 after being driven there from Tobermory by a co-owner of the hotel we stayed at. It was a chilly morning, but that was expected as it was early October. As it was the first day of our epic trek we took a few photos to mark the occasion as we had a good viewpoint over the lake and the Niagara Escarpment in the background, and knowing at some point early on in the hike we would be at the top of it.


There was a lot of preparation for this hike, both from Matt and myself. He did the actual day to day planning and I worked on the gear and food items we would need. Each of us had to limit what we brought as you don't want to carry too much weight when hiking 25km plus each day. In my pack I had the tent, my winter sleeping bag(because it was October, the weather could change at any moment), long sleeve shirts, dehydrated food, sleeping clothes and rope in order to hang our packs at night. It took me about two weeks to figure out what was necessary and what wasn't, and constantly repacking my rucksack to lower the weight. Eventually I got it down to about 26-28lbs, which I found to be comfortable and knowing that weight would be less each day after we had our meals. The last decision was choosing footwear, do I go with the sturdy, but heavy hiking boot, or lightweight, but possibly injuring my ankle hiking shoe. I decided on the hiking boot, and am glad I did as each day that passed the terrain became more difficult.


Wiarton km 0.0
Spirit Rock
Abandoned barn
The Bruce Trail Peninsula Section starts in Wiarton at a public park with a view of the Niagara Escarpment, and as it was nearing autumn we were hoping for brightly coloured trees, but as you can see they were only starting to turn. For this photo I wanted to see myself the way others would see me, which is why I am wearing my rucksack. The first 3km started easily enough with a crushed gravel path and roadway, but the temperature started rising and I needed to remove a layer of clothing, which then increased the weight in my pack(it's not as noticeable when you're wearing it, but you can tell once the extra weight is on your shoulders). Our first historical stop was Spirit Rock, it is derived from a legend of an Indian Maiden who jumped from the cliff face due to the guilt of falling in love with an Indian warrior from an enemy tribe. As the weather was warming and we are starting to get in the rhythm we were not expecting our first challenge. A nearly vertical climb up the escarpment face with giant flat rocks as steps, and a final push up a dodgy spiral staircase, but once we reached the top it felt good to be rewarded with shade, views and finally able to breathe properly again. After checking the map we realized the next few kilometers would be easy again because it contained a section with roads, but not after stopping to snap a few photo's of an abandoned barn(I have a fascination with abandoned buildings). After hiking the road section and getting back into the forest for a few kilometers we decided on stopping at Mallory Beach for a few minutes to give our feet a rest and to enjoy a beer and a snack.



After the half hour rest we gave ourselves and some fruit and nuts(plus the beer) we headed on our way back to the main trail. The next five kilometers were at the top of the escarpment with several lookouts over Colpoy's Bay, and with the clear skies we had we were able to see to the other side. At the 17.1km mark we ran into our first problem, heat stroke. My hiking partner, Matt, started feeling dizzy and lagging behind about 1-2km before this point, but carried on. We decided to stop and sit in the shade, drink some water and eat a bit of food, but it didn't help. As we were resting there a mother and daughter had hiked in from a side trail parking spot, and did a quick walk down the main trail. As they went on their way we discussed our options amongst ourselves, and decided it was best if we asked them to give Matt a lift to the campsite as he would not be able to make it on foot, this was the half way point of our first day. Once the mother and daughter returned we spoke with them of our plans, and asked the favour to drive Matt to the campground, and they happily obliged. As it was only going to be myself I was able to lighten my pack by giving the tent and sleeping bag to Matt so he would be able to set up before I arrive, and have a nap to refresh himself. We departed ways for the next 17km.


Once I was on my own I made it a mission to move faster as I didn't want to leave him on his own for too long a time. It was not long after this that the trail turned inland and the viewpoints would be gone for a few kilometers.  I stopped at the Knapp Lookout for a quick rest, and shortly after his I met with the mother again, and she guided me to their cabin, only a half kilometer from the trail. Once there I spoke with her, and her husband, and found out that the Knapp Lookout is named after them as they have donated to the Bruce Trail Conservancy. I also discussed the next 10km as that was the distance from their cabin to the campsite, and what the terrain would be like, and how long it would take me. This is the point that I had my first real experience of actual hiking. He told me that I should be taking my time while hiking the trail, and not trying to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible, as it is in place for people to enjoy the sights and sounds. After chatting with them for a while, they offered to take my pack and drop it off at the campground, and as it would give my shoulders and legs a rest while I hiked, I took the offer. After departing their cabin site, I pondered about what they told me, and try to live by their motto each day, and realize that there are still some good, decent humans on this planet.


From this point I had a decision, do I hike the main trail and get the view points from Jones Bluff, or do I shorten my total distance and time by hiking the side trail? I opted to stick to the main trail as I wanted to know if I could hike to originally intended kilometers for the day. I am glad I made this decision as I discovered an interesting feature while at the top of this bluff. I was hiking over these rather large cracks or crevices that ran perpendicular to each other, laid out almost in a checkerboard pattern, and was thinking that hundreds of years ago, there would have been more like it beyond the bluff, but have fallen, and in hundreds of years some of them will have fallen from the edge. It gave me perspective of age and time. The last opportunity I had of a scenic lookout I took it. I sat there with my camera and my water and just looked and marveled at what history has done.


The final descent to the campground was a leisurely stroll down a road to which I met Matt and we discussed our experience after we departed at 17km. Each of us learned something new that day. I learned that you can take your time in life, you don't need to accomplish everything you set out to do, just so long as you enjoy what you are doing, and he learned that it's important to keep hydrated and stop when you know you can bring harm to yourself or others, for if you don't stop to look after yourself, how could you carry on enjoying life.




Stay tuned for Bruce Trail - Day 2, Cape Croker to Jackson's Cove


2 comments:

  1. Wow, gorgeous photos! Glad to finally hear more details about this trip as I didn't get this much from you at the time. It's so great that you found kind and down-to-earth people along the way.
    Great lessons to learn, too. :)
    PS. You will need to provide me with rucksack packing instructions for my 800 km hike in Spain next year! Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Craig, this was a great read, but it looks like day two (and beyond) were never posted... I'm planning the exact same trip, am set to embark in a few months. I'd love to run a few questions by you with respect to this sojourn.

    ReplyDelete