17 June, 2011

Waterfalls of the Bruce Trail

As I stand at the base of Jones Falls attempting to capture the flowing water similar to professional photographers, I feel the mist hitting me and a calm feeling overcomes me.

Over the May long weekend Emma, Carla, my mom, dad and I went for a tour of some of the local waterfalls along the Bruce Trail. Our first stop was Jones Falls only a 5-10 minute walk from the Springmount Visitors Centre. These falls are classed as a cascade and if visited in early spring they will look spectacular due to the amount of rain and melt water flowing over. As this spring was a very wet one the falls were still flowing strongly even in late May. To capture the falls from the front you need to scramble down a moderately difficult slope, but it will yield the best photographs. However as you can see I am unable to photograph it with the water looking silky, I am still in the process of learning to use my camera(even though I have had it for 7 years)

Jones Falls as viewed from the base

The next waterfall on the tour was Weavers Creek Falls located within the Owen Sound city limits. This waterfall is classed as a plunge and cascade. It was an interesting challenge trying to capture this one as I had to climb on a fallen tree over the flowing river, then scale a rather steep slope(had a few close calls to falling) then position myself just right. After snapping a few photos I had the challenge of traversing back to the fallen tree, which I assumed wouldn't be difficult as long as I could remember my path. However this proved to be more difficult than I thought, but I did make it without falling and injuring myself. As you can see with this falls I was able to capture it with the water looking sort of silky, but a small tree is in the foreground.

Weavers Creek Falls viewed from a precarious position on a steep slope

The third and final waterfalls of the day is Inglis Falls, quite possibly the most impressive seen so far. Inglis is classed as a cascade, however with the amount of water flowing over, I would class it as a plunge in early spring. These falls are viewed by more tourists and because of the old mill on site the conservation area in charge of them have provided ample lookouts along a predetermined path. If you want to view it from the base it is a decent hike down(I am unsure how long it will take as it was getting on in the day, and didn't have time), although the next time I go I think I will make the trek. With the lookouts provided you are given many angles and opportunities to snap some amazing photographs. As it is the site of an old mill the history provided was also quite interesting to read about and gives insight to what trades were in the area and how the cities were formed many years ago. I have managed to capture Inglis with a slight silky texture to the water, but the trees and sky look a bit dark or drab. Where the painting is located that is the site of the old mill.

Inglis Falls as seen from one of the provided lookouts

The waterfall tour is an ongoing process and I have four more falls to visit. Luckily my parents trailer is located relatively close to all these falls and they will be a great day trip.
Craig

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes the non-silky ones look great, too, like yours of Jones Falls because you can see every little water drop. It's very detailed. Your pics look great! I think the tree in front of Weavers Creek Falls adds a nice framing effect and doesn't detract from the photo like you think it does. I would like to go back to Inglis and do more of a trek as well, and see the other ones on the falls tour.

    ReplyDelete